Cruising to Alaska

Our ship is in and we’re ready to roll. Weeks before embarkation, we were required to download the cruise line’s app and complete required check-in information online. Also required within 48 hours was a verified covid test and receipt of a QR code with the results. Another “joyful” experience was completing the ArriveCAN app for a short little five hour visit to Victoria during the cruise. ArriveCAN had to be completed within 72 hours of embarkation on the cruise ship. At the terminal, it took minutes for the crew members to check passports, covid vaccinations, covid results and ArriveCAN verification.

The new digital requirements are the result of Covid. The purpose is to eliminate or minimize as much human contact as possible. In the old days a few years ago, the check-in would be done at the cruise terminal, not online. One of the benefits of these changes is that it expedites the process and allows passengers to get through the line and on board quicker.

Boarding in Seattle on a sunny day with calm waters.

This ship holds up to 4800 passengers and has 1300 crew members that do everything from hauling luggage, preparing rooms, facilitating the many restaurants and bars to leading dance lessons and the other countless forms of activities and entertainment.
After being processed through boarding procedures, we made our way to our cabins on the 8th deck.

Today we’re meeting up with the rest of our group … Mary, Toni, Sally (my mother-in-law) and her twin sister Sue. You wouldn’t believe it, but the average age of this golden foursome is around 80. Most of them have graduated from Smart Phone 101 and had a little help downloading all the cruise requirements to their phones. They are a delightful group to travel with.

The golden girls relaxing in one of the comfortable cabins. Luggage is delivered to each cabin.
Our three cabins were next to each other. Our room attendant Kevin opened up the dividers so our balconies were connected.
Beautiful view of Seattle from our balcony. The ship didn’t leave until late afternoon so we had plenty of time to relax and get acclimated to the ship.
Lunch with a view of the Seattle yacht club.
It was a busy first day with the embarkation process and finding our way around the ship. However, the view from our balcony made it all worthwhile … it was nothing but tranquility.

Published by

Jane is a resident of Browndale neighborhood in St. Louis Park, Minnesota.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: